Thursday, September 15, 2005

jogTunes on the MacCast

The new and, I think, improved, jogTunes, was introduced to the podcasting world by Adam Christianson on his popular podcast, the MacCast. It was on his 9/13/05 show. And sure enough, the traffic to jogTunes increased exponentially. I'm grateful to Adam for his help

I've been thinking about the many ways users may find jogTunes helpful. They may place a "runnable" tune in the faster range (about 170 to 180 beats-per-minute) in the middle of their regular running playlist to ensure they're running at peak pace. Or they may switch to several runnable songs after listening to a podcast during warm-up. Others may create a full playlist of runnable songs or download one of the playlists on jogTunes.

I'm still waiting to find out how many other people will find it a whole lot of fun to run to the pace of music. I've written emails to several bloggers: A Trail Runner's Blog and A Runner's Blog, and will post to forums where there is interest in running to music.

Also, foreign versions of JogTunes may be helpful. Japan has just joined the iTunes community. Most of the European countries are already on line with iTunes. This may get interesting.

Happy running to the beat!

2 comments:

Scott Dunlap said...

I think this is a great idea! Sorry it took me so long to respond - I've been out on the trails. But I'm a big fan of the JogTunes concept. I redirect a lot of people to your site.

Trail running is an iPod-friendly sport. Since you're on the trails (instead of the road), most race directors let you use them. One recent race I went to had 33 iPodders among 120 racers! I think it's one of the only outside sports that is iPod friendly.

I'm always looking for good songs to run to. Since I'm a trail runner, it's hard to run to a specific beat (since your feet are always dodging roots and rocks), so I just choose songs that get me pumped. But most of those are 120 bpm or higher (lots of Foo Fighters, Janes Addiction, ILS, Crystal Method, Prodigy, Rage Against the Machine, etc.). I use the song changes to remind me to eat/drink too (sip my sport drink at the first words in a song, water in between songs, and take an electrolyte pill every other song).

Since I run really long distances sometimes (30-50 miles), I often have to take a break from the agro stuff and through in some comedy and classical. I've found some of the podcasts to be good too.

Let me know how I can help y'all. I'll start by putting a link to your blog on mine!

Cheers, SD

:) said...

Pretty cool concept for sure!